|Internship Placement & Process:
The Center for Global Understanding has partnered with The Washington Center (TWC) for Internships and Academic Seminars to provide placement, housing and financial assistance to CFGU Students. Following is the process:
- Be enrolled in an accredited college or university as a second semester sophomore or above at the start of the program.
- Have a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.75.
- Receive academic credit for your participation in the program.
- Receive the endorsement of your campus liaison, or a faculty sponsor if your institution is not affiliated. Please contact email@example.com if you do not know whether your institution has a campus liaison.
You can apply online at the Washington Center's Student portal.
Please make sure to check "Center for Global Understanding" box on the application.
Special Considerations and Rules Regarding the Online Application
- When using the online application, you needn’t complete it all at once. You can save your work and return to it at any time.
- If submitting online, the application fee must also be paid online. Instructions are provided in the application.
- Letters of recommendation can be entered into the online application or mailed. Instructions will be sent to your recommenders on how to submit their letters to TWC.
- The following schools require the printed application; students from these institutions may not apply online: Albion College, Clark University, Florida State University, Miami University, Montclair State University, and Texas Christian University. Students from these institutions should contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further instructions and specify whether they are interested in applying for the Washington, D.C., General Programs, Intern Abroad Programs, or Competitive Government Programs.
- Dickinson College students must consult their Global Education Office before starting the online application.
- University of Toledo and Bridgewater State University students must consult their campus liaison before starting the online application.
- Upon acceptance you will be assigned a program advisor who will serve as your Washington Center contact and who will assist you in the placement process.
- Your program advisor will forward your application materials to potential placement sites. If the agency is interested, you will be contacted for a phone interview.
- If the agency determines you would be an appropriate match for their organization based on their needs, and your interests and abilities, you will be offered the internship. You should discuss all offers with your program advisor.
The Internship Program:
The internship program consists of the following:
- An orientation where you will meet your program advisor and other interns.
- The internship: 4 or 4 ½ days per week.
- Attendance at the Presidential Lecture Series and Congressional Speaker Series.
- An academic course one evening per week (all interns, except those in the Postgraduate Professional Program are required to attend).
- CFGU Special access Public Affairs Series
- Small group meetings and other activities planned by your program advisor.
- Completion of a portfolio (detailed explanation of all required components will be provided by your program advisor during orientation).
All interns receive three recommended grades which are sent to their campus liaison or sponsor:
- Final Agency Evaluation
- Final Program Advisor Evaluation
- Final Course Evaluation